Why is this Street Named Avenue of the Allies?
Avenue of the Allies was named after the 27 nations allied against the Central Powers in World War 1.
Avenue of the Allies is one of the 19 of 24 streets in Tanilba Bay that owe their names to patriotism to honour the sacrifices made during World War 1. It was a gesture to commemorate the bravery and dedication of those who served and lead their countries.
Henry Halloran, a surveyor and real estate agent, bought the land in 1920 and planned a subdivision that would repeat elements of Walter Burley Griffin’s plan for Canberra based on a central Avenue of the Allies.
Planting of Trees Along Avenue of the Allies
On 7 June 1929, Port Stephens Shire Council received a letter from Henry F Halloran & Company regarding tree planting on the Tanilba Estate roads. The council decided to obtain 114 trees from the Botanic Gardens for planting along the roads in the estate. The work was carried out under the supervision of the Shire Engineer. These are the Norfolk Island Pines along either side of the Avenue of the Allies. There are 3 Norfolk Island Pines in Sunset Park, and one in Meridian Park. Unfortunately, some of these have died over the years and have been replaced by other species but they are still an imposing sight.
Use of Alliteration for Street Names
A feature of Henry Halloran’s developments and subdivisions was that street names were chosen to capture attention through their alliteration (the repetition of the beginning consonant sounds of nearby words) and to remind buyers of the heroes of World War 1, like Navy Nook, Army Avenue and Diggers Drive.
View the slide presentation to learn more about the Allies in World War 1.