Why is this Street Named Monash Close?
Monash Close is named after General Sir John Monash who commanded the 13th Infantry Brigade and was the Commander of the 4th Brigade in Egypt and was one of the first under fire in Gallipoli. He was considered a brilliant Allied military commander in World War 1.
Monash Close is one of the 19 of 24 streets in Tanilba Bay that owe their names to patriotism to honour the sacrifices made during World War 1. It was a gesture to commemorate the bravery and dedication of those who served in the Army fighting for the British Empire (Commonwealth).
Henry Halloran, a surveyor and real estate agent, bought the land in 1920 and planned a subdivision that would repeat elements of Walter Burley Griffin’s plan for Canberra based on a central Avenue of the Allies.
Use of Alliteration for Street Names
A feature of Henry Halloran’s developments and subdivisions was that street names were chosen to capture attention through their alliteration (the repetition of the beginning consonant sounds of nearby words) and to remind buyers of the heroes of World War 1, like Navy Nook, Army Avenue and Diggers Drive or to recognise the early settlers like Caswell Crescent and Rigney Road.
This is one of 2 streets that do not have alliteration in their name. The other street is Tanilba Avenue.
Monash Close is not alliteration as Henry F Halloran did not name it in his original plans for the subdivision of Tanilba Bay. The area used for the subdivision of Monash Close was originally planned to be the site for a school. The subdivision occurred later and therefore did not follow the tradition of being alliteration for the name of the street.
View the slide presentation to learn more about General Sir John Monash