pomona place


Oranges, lemons, citron, apples, mulberries, figs, damson plums, and especially grapes.

Pomona, the Roman goddess known for looking after fruit trees and gardens, inspired the name of this street which is near Tanilba House and was the location of the orchard for the estate.

Henry F Halloran chose this name as a tribute to Lt Caswell who established the orchard for Tanilba House, where many kinds of fruits grew.

This place used to be part of Caswell’s Tanilba House Estate and had an orchard, which Lieutenant Caswell called the orangery. At Tanilba, Lt Caswell mentioned the success of the orangery on 28 April 1835, listing various fruits like oranges, lemons, citron, apples, mulberries, figs, damson plums, and especially grapes. Thanks to Caswell’s care, the orchard thrived with different kinds of fruits.

Pomona, thought of as a wood nymph, got her name from the Latin word “pomum,” which means orchard fruit. She was responsible for taking good care of and protecting the fruit trees. Pomona didn’t directly deal with harvesting fruits but focused on making sure the fruit trees grew well. In pictures, she’s often shown with a plate of fruit or a cornucopia.