Why is this Street Named Loyd George Grove?
Lloyd George Grove is named after David Lloyd George who was appointed Minister for Munitions in June 1915 and became Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in December 1916 and throughout the duration of World War 1.
Lloyd George Grove is one of the 19 of 24 streets in Tanilba Bay that owe their names to patriotism to honour the sacrifices made during World War 1. It was a gesture to commemorate the bravery and dedication of those who served and lead their countries during the war.
Henry Halloran, a surveyor and real estate agent, bought the land in 1920 and planned a subdivision that would repeat elements of Walter Burley Griffin’s plan for Canberra based on a central Avenue of the Allies.
Use of Alliteration for Street Names
A feature of Henry Halloran’s developments and subdivisions was that street names were chosen to capture attention through their alliteration (the repetition of the beginning consonant sounds of nearby words) and to remind buyers of the heroes of World War 1, like Navy Nook, Army Avenue and Diggers Drive.